These were given to me by my friend, Paula. Paula's mother, Bonnie, was a serious gardener in St. Matthews. She passed away a long time ago, so I never got to meet her. Thanks to Paula's heartwarming stories, I feel like I know her. Bonnie was well known for her flower-filled back yard. Seems she gave one of her lady friends a few Iris for her yard, I'm guessing it was in the 1960's. Paula ran into her mother's friend a few years ago, and she invited Paula to come over to her house and dig up some of the Iris for her to enjoy in her own yard. Paula shared some of the bulbs with me. Now we both have Iris from Bonnie's garden. Imagine having flowers blooming in your yard that came from your mother's garden, from many years ago. When the Iris bloom, it always feels like Bonnie is watching over my garden in approval. I'll dig some this fall, to share with my daughter. Bonnie's plants bring joy to my heart, and a smile on my face. She always told Paula, "Sunny Days Are Ahead". Thanks for the Iris, Bonnie. xoxo
A journal of gardening, spending time with friends and family, and taking time to embrace the peace and quiet of my own back yard...it's all about the memories.
Sunday, August 15, 2010
Bonnie's Iris
These were given to me by my friend, Paula. Paula's mother, Bonnie, was a serious gardener in St. Matthews. She passed away a long time ago, so I never got to meet her. Thanks to Paula's heartwarming stories, I feel like I know her. Bonnie was well known for her flower-filled back yard. Seems she gave one of her lady friends a few Iris for her yard, I'm guessing it was in the 1960's. Paula ran into her mother's friend a few years ago, and she invited Paula to come over to her house and dig up some of the Iris for her to enjoy in her own yard. Paula shared some of the bulbs with me. Now we both have Iris from Bonnie's garden. Imagine having flowers blooming in your yard that came from your mother's garden, from many years ago. When the Iris bloom, it always feels like Bonnie is watching over my garden in approval. I'll dig some this fall, to share with my daughter. Bonnie's plants bring joy to my heart, and a smile on my face. She always told Paula, "Sunny Days Are Ahead". Thanks for the Iris, Bonnie. xoxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment