Today I told my daughter I wanted to start a blog about gardening. Her reply was, "so do it!".
It seems to me, that when I am working in my garden, everything else in the world is on hold. When I am teaching my grandchildren the correct way to plant seeds, or as we watch a bird build a nest in the trellis, time stands still. It's just me and them - and the dirt, the blossoms, the water hose, and the breeze.
Dalen and Bennett were 2 and 3 years old when we first planted seeds in little clay pots together. My mother bought them little garden gloves. We had to work in the shade, even though the sunscreen was applied. These were very young gardeners, but they were very serious from Day 1.
They are now 9 and 10. They know the names of the herbs, they have their favorite flowers, and they work very hard with me whenever they get the chance. We had a late start this spring, but we're excited about our progress. We have built our first tepee - with Purple Hyacinth Beans planted round the base. We plan to take pictures as the vines crawl up the bamboo poles. The bamboo was purchased at the St. Matthews Farmer's Market - grown in Old Louisville.
Dalen has her own Giant Dahlia. She picked it out at Bunton's Seed Company downtown. She chose a bright yellow. Her other purchase was an heirloom tomato plant called "Mr. Stripey". We have some fun plants this year.......
No comments:
Post a Comment